Ways to Help
Volunteering at El Nido Family Centers gives you the opportunity to enhance the lives of children and youth in your community. Whether working directly with our clients or behind the scenes with our program staff and Board of Directors you can make a significant difference.
HERE IS A LIST OF SUGGESTED OPPORTUNITIES:
CAREER MENTORING FOR YOUTH
Organize a career day for teen parents.
Share your professional journey with our clients.
ACADEMIC MENTORING FOR CHILDREN AND YOUTH
Tutor students struggling academically enrolled at El Nido’s various programs.
Read to children who are in childcare at El Nido’s sites while their parents attend parent education classes.
Prepare our youth for college by helping them fill out college applications, tutor them for the SAT, and find scholarship opportunities.
Develop a workshop to expose our youth to your interests and passions.
Workshops have included jewelry design, healthy cooking, photography, video production, entrepreneurial skills, and financial literacy and investment skills providing valuable information about finances.
SUGGESTED COLLECTION DRIVES AT YOUR BUSINESS OR IN YOUR COMMUNITY
- Collect donations of diapers and formula for young mothers and their babies.
- Promote education by donating much-needed new backpacks and school supplies for elementary and high school students.
- Donate grocery gifts cards for parents who are struggling to feed their families or organize a food drive to assist families in need.
- Collect Clothing (children, youth, and adult), Toys (new and in the original wrapping), Books (children, youth), and Blankets and Sheets.
CLEAN UP COMPTON CREEK:
- Make the Compton Creek a beautiful, natural place for the community to enjoy, while getting to know other members of the Compton Community. One Saturday a month from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm.
HELP HAND OUT FOOD TO THE COMPTON COMMUNITY:
- Spend a Saturday morning with our youth in Compton filling bags full of food for families in need, every fourth Saturday, from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm at our Compton location.
SPREAD THE WORD:
- Attend one of our fundraising events.
- Introduce El Nido to friends and acquaintances that would be interested in learning more about us.
*Volunteer opportunities depend on agency capacity and are not guaranteed.
El Nido offers graduate internships for social work, counseling and MFT. Internships are offered out of the Mission Hills and Compton offices.
* Spanish speakers are strongly preferred.
* We ask for a minimum commitment of 16 hours a week for 6 months.
If interested, please fill out the form at the bottom of the page noting your interest in an internship.
Send us an email to: Volunteer@ElNidoFamilyCenters.org
“There is no better exercise for your heart, than reaching down and helping to lift someone up.”